Pumping - does it help

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Pumping - does it help

Postby lucy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm

I have the Schmidt's syndrome triad.I am curious to know if anyone here pumps and if you've found that it makes any difference to your wellbeing? Would you recommend a pump over MDI?

My control is okay on MDI - hba1c usually in the 6.5-6.8% range but I take around 9-11 shots per day to achieve that. Just wondering if a pump is worth it, takes a lot more effort or not really that worth it?
Thanks for your thoughts.
lucy

Re: Pumping - does it help

Postby gkardel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Pumping can help. The potential for improved control is higher with the pump compared to MDI.

Pump gives much more control over insulin delivery so you can customize the delivery to fit your individual scenario. The cortisol replacement meds we take can cause variances in blood sugar. These variances can be better handled with the pump by adjusting the basal insulin delivery. Handling more complex food scenarios like pizza are better handled with the pump also. There's also a convenience factor: instead of taking 70 shots over a week you'd be installing 2 infusion sets which is not much more involved than taking an injection.

Pump therapy is more expensive compared to MDI and it takes some effort to customize the delivery settings. You also have to be connected to the pump pretty much all the time. For many, the benefits of pump therapy outweigh the costs.

-Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Return to Addisons-Diabetes