HC, Insulin, and Weight Loss

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

HC, Insulin, and Weight Loss

Postby AlexandraX » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Hi there! I'm new to this forum, and am grateful for a community of people with the same combination of conditions!!

I have been T1D for 6 years now, and was diagnosed with Addisons 4 months ago. It's been a rough transition! I got a pump a few weeks ago so am adjusting to that too. I'm curious to know what others' experiences of weight gain/weight loss are. I'm a 5'7" female, was 116 lbs when diagnosed (underweight), and since starting Hydrocortisone have steadily put on weight: I'm now 132 lbs and it doesn't seem to be stabilizing. My "normal" was around 125. I have reduced my daily HC doses from 30mg to 15mg. I am afraid to reduce medication any more than this and feel it might bring about Addisons symptoms. I exercise almost every day (running, yoga, intervals), and eat a modest diet full of vegetables and healthy proteins & fats.

Have others struggled with this? What strategies have you used? Has anyone tried supplements? DHEA? Am I just being impatient through an initial adjustment period?!?

Would be very grateful to hear any and all thoughts :-)
AlexandraX

Return to Addisons-Diabetes