Seeking recommendations from Californians

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Seeking recommendations from Californians

Postby pawstalker » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:52 pm

Anybody here have an Endo in California that you would wholeheartedly recommend? I'm thinking UCLA or Stanford or something, but there are so many to choose from, it's hard to choose just from the web. I really would like to get an additional viewpoint on my situation but it would be really nice to have a personal recommendation.

Just thought I would ask.

paws
pawstalker

Postby rwk » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:04 pm

I really like my endo, Dr. Elizabeth Fraze, 1100 Welsh Rd, right next to the Stanford Medical Center (in fact, she's on call there this month).

In fact, I drive down from Marin to see her. A few good points about her (which are good criteria for evaluating endocrinologists, in my opinion):

She listens, she's flexible, she explains, she doesn't do the "I'm the doctor, you're the patient" think, and she's not dogmatic. (One my my tests was to ask her about T3 replacement. She not only gave a good rationale for going with T4, but also indicated that she did have some patients on Armour. As that's one of the more contentious dvides in endocrinology, it makes a good test for dogmatism. BTW, I had no particular interest in going to T3, I just was checking for an open mind).
rwk

Postby Karen » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:11 pm

Dr. Daniel Berger from the Sansum Clinic in Santa Barbara is excellent. He saved my life when I was undiagnosed and no one else could seem to get to the bottom of things. He is highly personable, used to be on the teaching staff at UCLA, and is very thorough. Good luck to you.
Karen

Postby pawstalker » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks to both of you. I will look into them. I actually really like my endo, but I figure it doesn't hurt to get additional opinions sometimes. I'm in Southern California, so Santa Barbara is doable.
pawstalker

Postby sadie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:05 am

Hi Paw!

My endocrinologist is Theodore Friedman in Los Angeles. He specializes in adrenal and pituitary issues. He is in private practice but teaches at UCLA-Charles R. Drew University. He did his endocrine fellowship at NIH and used to be a physician at Cedars-Sinai pituitary center prior to striking out on his own. His primary focus is academic but he sees patients one evening a week.

His website has lots of information about him:
http://www.goodhormonehealth.com

He does not take insurance but will give you the paperwork to submit it to your insurance company-a growing practice in LA these days. His prices are very competitive for an office visit and the basic labwork done is generally in network for most, so it will be covered. Following an initial visit, he will work with you using email and phone consultations if you are not in the area.

He is incredibly intelligent, is a man of action (he won't let you fester if there is a problem, he will try hard to fix it) and he will listen to his patients. If there is something that you have been concerned has been missed, he will help you figure it out, run the right tests, etc. He is a quiet fellow but that makes him an excellent listener and he is kind. If you tell him a symptom, he will take you at face value and not question it like other doctors might.

Their office is busy and limited by having only a few staff. Be patient if you call (leave a message on their machine and they will call you back)-it can take a week or more to hear back on scheduling. They are well worth the wait, though.

Good luck with whomever you decide to see-second opinions are always a good idea and can often unearth new treatment plans and a better quality of life,

Sadie
sadie

Return to Addisons-Diabetes