Pregnancy

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Pregnancy

Postby manda » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:39 pm

I'm sure this came up about a year or so ago, but has anyone dealt with pregnancy and Addisons/Diabetes?

I'm trying to plan for the future - not the immediate future, however - and figure out what the risks are.

Advice/Info/ETC?

Thanks,

A
manda

Postby skaki » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:11 am

I am a diabetic and could have some sort of addisons type disease nothing diagnosed as yet, but I also wondered about pregnancy as diabetes control has to be perfect when conceiving and during pregnancy, but since addisons counteracts with diabetes and makes control difficult, how do women both illness find pregnancy??
skaki

Endo App for More info

Postby k_c_lady » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:12 pm

Hello, I have been wondering this for a while. I have an endo app on the 8 of Jan to find out more info. I was on the shot for 6 months (3 on and 3 coming off) and this was the time I was going to try and to have another baby. I really would like another, but I don't want to die having one either! Just when it's time for me to get the ball rolling, my husband goes and have knee surgery! He hasn't worked in over 2 months!! Dang it! The timing couldn't be any worse!! We'll see what the doc says that Monday! The health of my unborn baby plays heavy on my heart. Plus I have to be a mommy to my son that I already have! Best of luck to you. Kiesha
k_c_lady

Postby dm1hypopit » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:47 pm

I have not dealt with pregnancy complicated by adrenal insufficiency but I can think of a couple of things you might want to ask before making a decision. I went through my only pregnancy having only type 1 diabetes but suffered complications during the birth that lead to my adrenal problems and have made it inadvisable to go through another pregnancy. I always planned on more than one child but it is not to be for me. I had excellent diabetes control throughout the pregancy but I developed near toxemia at the end with sky high blood pressure (220/110). They induced labor at 37 weeks but I ended up with a c-section. No one knows exactly why but during this time I suffered a stroke to my pituitary gland, which lead to my adrenal, thyroid and other hormonal deficiencies. The doctors believe the cause may have been a combination of high blood pressure, c-section delivery and a 24 year history of diabetic damage to small blood vessels in my head even though I always stayed in good control.

I would make sure you have a team of doctors experienced in working with your type of problems before considering pregnancy. The effects of pregnancy on your blood pressure, fluid balance and blood sugar would have to be very tightly monitored and medication doses adjusted accordingly to minimize the risk to you. One thing I have heard from another woman I know who is not diabetic but has had five children while adrenal deficient is that your cortisol needs vary during pregnancy and the dose is increased until you deliver. The steroid dose was increased based on her symptoms (dizziness, weakness) and/or low blood pressure. I would certainly question your endo on what their plan would be to manage your cortisol dose and ask if they have dealt with adrenal deficiency in pregnancy before. I went through a "normal" diabetic pregnancy and developed serious complications so I would not recommend going through this process with an inexperienced endo.

One thing that might make a difference is your age. I waited until age 33 to get pregnant and I think things might have been different for me if my pregnancy had been at a younger age with a shorter duration of diabetes. That would have been difficult though because I had no father for my child until then. (Ha, ha) When I brought up the pregnancy/diabetes issue with my OB/GYN he looked back to the front page of my chart at my birthday (age 32) and told me "Well, you'd better get busy." I would certainly talk very seriously with both your endo and your OB/GYN as your risk would be quite high.

Candy
dm1hypopit

Postby manda » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:26 pm

So.

Today I was released from the hospital for a viral infection/gastroparesis, which I will address later. It sucked. Yes.

However, on my way out, the doctor addressed a few issues. One of which I will quote herein:

Are you getting married/planning a family? If so, I advise you to have your child as soon as possible.

Oh. I see.

the answers I received are these:

pregnancy in people with PAS II is easier to deal with when they are younger. I am currently 26. They recommend prior pregnancy no later than 30, and that it's planned. Detailed planning is key.

Furthermore, I asked about statistical probability of passing my garbage on, which I will detail here:

diabetes -- not likely
addison's -- extremely unlikely
celiac -- fairly likely
hypothyroidism -- very likely

other common autoimmune conditions which I do not have, such as asthma, are very likely as well.

There you have it.
manda

Postby k_c_lady » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 am

So we just found out on Friday that weare going to have another baby!! I'm not far along! Just a few weeks. We'll see how this goes! I already have made all the doctors appointments. Kiesha
k_c_lady

Postby manda » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:48 pm

congratulations!
manda

Postby k_c_lady » Mon May 07, 2007 10:01 am

Thank you!

Actually, we found out on April 13th, that we are going to have twins!

Not only having AI, but being pregnant with twins scares me! AH!

Kc
k_c_lady

Postby manda » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:10 pm

so exciting!!!

congrats!
manda

Return to Addisons-Diabetes