Rapid Resting Pulse and other strange things

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Rapid Resting Pulse and other strange things

Postby Susan2 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:44 am

Hope some of you can suggest some reasons for my newest concerns.
In 2005 my Blood Pressure shot up so high my doc almost put me in hospital for fear of a stroke, but instead put me on a fairly strong angiotensin receptor blocker/diuretic, and everything cleared up. Then, last Christmas, I found I was passing out when I kneeled or bent over, so checked my BP and it was really low. I quit taking the BP meds, and eventually my BP crept up again, until it was too high. Started meds again, and so forth, until I finally decided to cut my Florineff in half, and have not had high BP since last May. I now cut my o.1 MG Florineff tablets in half and take one of these halves each morning. My BP is ranging between 124/83 and 107/73, so I am content with that. What is strange, however, is that I cannot get my resting pulse rate to normal range. the lowest my resting pulse has been lately is 74, but it is more likely to be in the 85 to 100 range. I am trying to do cardio workouts 3 or 4 times a week, but can't even break a sweat without feeling my heart pounding. I know I need to excercise to get my cardio system back in shape, but don't want to have a heart attack at the gym! Any thoughts on what I should do?
Also, at age 51, I am still having long, painful, energy sapping periods. This always causes raised eyebrows in doctors, who assume that I should have had early menopause by now. Any reason to worry?
My details are: diagnosed with Addisons, then hypothyroidism at age 27. Currently taking 25 MG Cortef, 0.05 MG Florineff, and 88 MCG Synthroid.
Susan2

Postby gkardel » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Susan,

Have you had lower pulse rates in the past? The "normal" resting heart rate is fairly broad, 60 to 100 bpm I think.

How do you break up your cortef dosing?

Glenn
Last edited by gkardel on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby Susan2 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:16 pm

Have no idea what my pulse rate used to be. I suspect it has always been a little faster than most people's. I have always lacked stamina. At the gym, they suggest that for my age, I should try to target around 85 beats per minute for maximum benefit from the cardio portion of the workout. This is a little puzzling for me, as I am usually at around 85 bpm before I even start to exercise. That is actually what triggered my concern. Also, I find that the faster my pulse, the more tired I feel. I am thinking of getting one of those heart rate monitors that you wear on your wrist, to get a baseline of what is going on.
After years of fiddling with my meds, I am now taking 20 MG of Corteff, plus the Florineff & Synthroid, first thing in the morning, and take 5 MG Corteff in the late afternoon. I sleep well and wake up feeling fine.
Susan2

Postby NJ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:05 pm

Susan a rapid heart rate will make you feel tired...very weak, too. I understand your fear of pushing the exercise too far. Take your pulse often while being active and let it slow if it gets faster than you feel comfortable.
NJ

Postby gkardel » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:40 pm

Is the rapid heart rate related to time of day? If it happened after your morning cortef dose, you could try moving some of your morning dose to lunch or afternoon. Also, have you had your thyroid levels checked?

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Return to Addisons-Diabetes