Human Grown Hormone

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Human Grown Hormone

Postby Treekasch » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:31 pm

My dr. is in the process of getting me approved for this hormone. If anyone has time, can you let me know how you're doing on it? Has you cholesteral gone down? Did you put on more muscle and lose fat?, etc. Any side effects?
Treekasch

Postby Karen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi Treekasch
Three and half years ago (to make a VERY long story short), an endocrinologist discovered that I had hypopituitarism. I already had Type 1 diabetes, and my thyroid, my adrenals, and my growth hormone suffered as a result of this new diagnosis. I was put on growth hormone, along with Synthroid and Cortef. The growth hormone made a HUGE difference, but it was some time before I felt the good effects. I started with .02 and slowly worked my way up to .06. Along the way, I did have some pitting edema in my lower legs, so had to back off and go back down to .02. I was terribly discouraged, but my doctor increased the dose gradually. I never had any joint pain, which can be another side effect. My cholesterol has improved. I would not say I have gained muscle and lost fat; I gained 30 pounds on the steroids, and I am just as fat around the middle as ever. But overall I feel good. I am currently on .05, which keeps me in the top of the IGF-1 range. I would advise you to work closely with your doctor, report any side effects right away, and gradually work your way up until your levels are stable at the top of the range. For me, the growth hormone was the last ingredient in the lengthy recipe to make me feel well. It was several months before I noticed a difference. I hope it works as well for you. Good luck!
Karen

Return to Addisons-Diabetes