Use of Chemotherapy in Type I diabetes

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Use of Chemotherapy in Type I diabetes

Postby clansing1 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:01 pm

A friend of a friend of mine who has Type I mentioned that there is a clincial trial involving chemotherapy in the treatment of Type I diabetes. Has anyone heard of this? I haven't been able to find anything on the web. Just curious.
clansing1

Postby mom_of_sk87 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:45 pm

It's probably this one. I hadn't heard either. A friend e-mailed me the link the other day, that's why I heard of it.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... ef=dn11571

'Rebuilt' immune system shakes off diabetes

* 21:00 10 April 2007
* NewScientist.com news service
* Roxanne Khamsi

Diabetics appear to have been cured with a one-off treatment that rebuilds their immune system, according to a new study.

The researchers removed bone marrow stem cells from the patients, who were then given drugs such as cytotoxan to wipe out their immune cells. Without an immune system, the patients were vulnerable to infection and so they were given antibiotics and kept in an isolation ward. They participants did not undergo radiation treatment – as leukaemia patients often do as part of a bone marrow transplant – and so had fewer side effects and less risk of organ damage.
mom_of_sk87

Postby manda » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:47 pm

It's the stem cell treatment -- I read an article about that as well

Apparently, very effective for a large percentage of the study group. A few people had symptoms recur after 3-5 years, and one or two died.

I can't remember exactly, but that's the process. It's interesting... and sort of scary.
manda

Return to Addisons-Diabetes