Can someone settle an argument please?

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Can someone settle an argument please?

Postby SueM » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:42 pm

This was posted on another board. I pointed out he was wrong and I am now being told his endo would have issues with me saying he is wrong.
Now I have been on insulin for 42 yrs and still have full hypo awareness and had addison's for about 5 yrs. The poster does not have addison's disease ( he doesn't even know what it is)

Nope, not a damn thing you can do about regaining awareness. Well, some will argue that you may be able to gain some back if your sugars have been wacky, but I say get used to it. You're getting old and your buddy the adrenal gland no longer likes you. I lost mine at 34, and she's been AWOL ever since. Oh, and always test before getting into a drivers seat!

You have to now manage your lows. It's not theoretically hard to do, but it does take work. Your homework for this week is "basal testing."
SueM

Postby manda » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Maybe I don't understand what's going on - by awareness, does he mean consciousness? And referring to managing lows with Addison's? It is significantly harder because you don't have the cortisol, which typically (as anyone who has ever taken extra cortef or prednisone knows) drives it up... is that what's happening?

Clear it up for me! I want to understand the point of his argument!

So you can effectively debunk it, if necessary!
manda

Postby SueM » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:13 am

Another poster had blacked out at the wheel of his car. Twice within a few weeks and was asking how or if he would get his awareness back. He had been changed to Lantus and he had no awareness of his low just blacked out.
The reply he recieved to his post was the blue one I have posted here.
Please note the replyer does not have addisons disease does not take steroids for anything. He was claiming his Endo had told him that the reason he had no hypo awareness was because his adrenal glands did not work.
I pointed out if his adrenal glands did not work he had addison's and could only survive on steroids and also having addison's does not make you hypo unaware. Thus he was mistaken. He didn't like my reply :(
SueM

Postby Wanda » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:16 am

Sue,
It was "very good" that you were there to set it straight for other readers.

From the sound of this guy you won't change his mind. He says he lost his adrenal gland at 34. What does he mean by that? No addisons? Guess he only has one adrenal gland! :D

Wanda
Wanda

Postby manda » Sat May 05, 2007 12:33 pm

wow. That guy has one crappy attitude.

I love it when people who don't know jack about a condition assume to know everything. Really, it's just the best. :)
manda

Return to Addisons-Diabetes