Minimed pump w/CGMS

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Minimed pump w/CGMS

Postby Tiffany » Sun May 06, 2007 6:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone with Diabetes has tried the pump that also tests your blood sugars? I understand you can't rely on the tester totally and you'll still need to test sugars with another tester, but I'm wondering if it could help me out. I'm having problems during the night. I wake up with very high blood sugars in the morning. To track the problem, I have to set my alarm for 3am testing which makes waking up in the morning for work even harder than normal. So I was wondering if anyone has tried this new pump & how much you can trust the numbers it gives you. Thanks for any info!
Tiffany

Postby gkardel » Tue May 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Tiffany,

I haven't tried the Minimed Paradigm Real-Time CGMS yet but I have seen presentations on it and read some literature. From what I've heard the results are accurate. Calibration with fingerstick measurements is required a minimum of every 12 hours. The system is pretty pricey with the starter kit running $1000US. The starter kit includes a transmitter, 10 glucose sensors and adhesive patches. The sensors are spec'd to last 3 days but I've heard they consistently last longer - around 5 to 7 days. Insurance coverage for the system in the US is limited at present but should be increasing. The information that the CGMS system provides with average sugars every 5 minute, trend analysis, and customizable alarms for low and high sugars would definitely be a big help especially for those of us with Addisons and diabetes. The downside is the expense and having another device inserted into your body. I think I'll go for it once my insurance will cover it.

Another option is the Minimed CGMS System Gold which is similar to the Paradigm Real-Time CGMS but is a one time use deal. Your doctor/health care team would set you up with this device and you would get every 5 minute readings on your sugars over a 3 day period. I have tried this device and my fingerstick values always were very close to the CGMS results.

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby manda » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:09 pm

that sounds like a dream. I often have the same problem, particulary if there's a (significant) change in my schedule. Holy cow. I want one.

I want ones for you, too.
manda

Re: Minimed pump w/CGMS

Postby Tiffany » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:07 am

Thank you for your input. Sorry to take so long to reply, I guess I've been pre-occupied since June. Have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease now in addition to T1 Diabetes, Hashimoto's, Addison's & Raynaud's. Life always keeps you on your toes! Again thank you for info on the CGMS & I too will be watching for insurance to help us out!
Tiffany

Return to Addisons-Diabetes