false hope

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

false hope

Postby purpburp » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:18 am

hi again,

when i was diagnosed with secondary addisons they performed the ACTH test then an insulin stress test and another test like the stress test but this time giving me glucagon instead of insulin.

The ACTH test i had poor results but one of the doctors wasnt convinced i had addisons and ordered a insulin stress test even though i had all the usual symptoms, dizziness, fatigue, severe hypos.

Anyway i failed the stress test as sure enough i went hypo and my body didnt produce cortisol when it should have although the results did show that i started to produce some approx 2-3 hours after the hypo. This was also the case in the second stress test with the glucalgon, therefore i was diagnosed with Partial isolated ACTH deficiency, and it was idiopathic.

Does this mean that there is a chance that one day i wont have it and will be able to lead a life without steroids. What i mean is does the fact that my body did eventually produce cortisol (too little too late) and the fact they dont know the cause mean that given time my body will repair itself.

Heres hoping :)
purpburp

Postby manda » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:34 pm

I don't really know anything about secondary addison's, but the internet is a fantastic resource and there is tons of medical literature available online -- definitely check it out -- and be sure to ask your doctor all your questions, too!
manda

False Hope

Postby KathyK » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:56 am

Purpburp,

Don't know if website addresses are allowed on here or not, but an excellent place to lear all about your addisons is "Addison's Village."

I would Google it as its a very LONG hyperlink. Register there, and you'll have full access to it. You can also email me directly & I could send you the hyperlink via email. It's a great place with VERY knowledgable people.
KathyK

Return to Addisons-Diabetes