pred vs HC

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

pred vs HC

Postby purpburp » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:20 pm

sorry new to this site and got so many questions.

What is the difference between hydrocortisone and prednisolone. Is pred more stable and longer lasting cause i take HC and seem to peak quite quickly and then have a low period shortly afterwards. Most days i could easily fall asleep around 11 am which is 2 hours after my last dose of HC.
I take 5mg of HC when i wake about 7 am then another 5mg at about 9 am. I used to take the full 10mg when i woke but changed because although i woke with near perfect sugars they would rise a lot by the time i was due to have breakfast (9am). After taking my afternoon dose of HC (5mg at 1 pm with lunch) i usually have a low about 3 hours after, usually accompanied by a hypo even with reducing my insulin. I then take 5mg of HC at 5 pm its hard to say whether i have a low after this cause i dont do much in the evening (apart from bombard you with questions :lol: )

Would prednisolone sort this out or be better suited to me do you think? Sorry if i sound thick.
purpburp

HC vs. Prednisone

Postby clansing1 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 pm

When I was intially diagnosed with Type I Diabetes and Primary Addison's disease, my endo put me on 5 mg of Prednisone in one single dose. With that, it would take me 3-4 hours to get going in the morning and I would have to drag myself out of bed.

I went on a couple of different message boards and saw what others were taking. I had my endo switch me to a combo of Cortef and Prednisone. Finally I switch my current dosage and timing, which is the following:

1 mg of prednisone at bedtime (10:30 PM) Since it takes Prednisone a couple of hours to work, it would start to take effect about 2-3 pm, which the normal body does.

I take 10 Mg of HC upon waking (6:30 AM) and wait about 30 minutes before I eat anything. This gives the HC a chance to get into the blood stream and the process is not slowed down by food digestion.

I take 5 mg of HC at 11 PM, again about 30-45 minutes before eating.

My final dosage of HC is at 4 PM.

I also take Natrol brand DHEA, 25 mg at 7 AM and 12.5 mg at Noon. I recommend anyone with Addison's to take a good source of DHEA, which I found out helped out my overall mood and energy level. But keep in mind, since DHEA is an over the counter product, not all brands are equal.

My Humalog insulin to carb ratio is 1/9 and I take about 19 units of Lantus.

My AIC's have been very good (5.2, 5.7, 6.2, and 5.5).

I have not had a problem with highs and lows since switching from Prednisone to HC. I have found that 5 mg of HC will raise my blood sugar about 20 units after about 1 hr. Example, I took my 5 mg of HC at 4 PM, and did not have any food in my system.

I also tested my BS just prior to taking my HC. Then I tested my BS 1 hour later and it was 20 units higher.

I think the most important thing for people with Type I Diabetes is finding the correct insulin/carb ratio and and accurate carb counting. If are taking HC prior to all three meals that you use your insulin, the HC change should be factored into your insulin/carb ratio.

I hope this helps you out. It took me about a year of trial and error before I was able to find a plan that keeps my Addison's and Type I in check.

Take care.

Chad
clansing1

Return to Addisons-Diabetes