What to print on Medic Alert bracelet

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

What to print on Medic Alert bracelet

Postby tisjill » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 am

As my daughter is knew to Addisons, we are trying to come up with the best wording for her ID bracelet. our Dr said just to put Addison's but as doctors dont seem to know that much about it, I wonder if there is something more helpful to the paramedics. I wonder how much training paramedics are given in dealing with Addisonians.
I would be greatful for any help you can give
jill
tisjill

Re: What to print on Medic Alert bracelet

Postby gkardel » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 pm

The Living With Addison's document put out by the Addison's Disease Self Help Group in the UK recommends putting: "Adrenal insufficiency. Steroid dependent.". "Adrenal Insufficiency" is definitely better than "Addison's Disease" as it's more descriptive and has a better chance of being understood by the medics. Membership at MedicAlert includes the option to store your daughter's conditions and treatment details and would be relayed to the medics when they contact MedicAlert. It's also a good idea to have an emergency kit with solu-cortef and syringe and printed instructions on when and how to use. Here's some info on this: http://addisons-diabetes.gkznet.com/solucortef_v3%20_sept04.pdf
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby Karen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:50 pm

Glenn is right. I was going to put "Addison's Disease" on my bracelet, and the folks at MedicAlert recommended that I put "Adrenal Insuff. Treat with Steroids," so that's what I did.
Karen

Postby clansing1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I've also heard a good thing to put on the bracelet, if you can fit it on is:

"If found unconscious, give 100 mg Solu-Cortef Stat"

I'm not sure if the wording is exactly correct, but that is basically what you are trying to communicate.

Chad
clansing1

Return to Addisons-Diabetes