A question about key tones?

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

A question about key tones?

Postby Patty » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi ...this is the first time for me to post here. I have Schmidts Syndrome, Addisons, Hashimotos and recently diabetes. I went to an endo yesterday. He ran alot of tests and I haven't gotten the results yet. One thing I do know is that I have key tones when testing my urine. Do these go away as I get my blood sugar under control or is there something I need to be doing? Thanks
Patty

Re: A question about key tones?

Postby tisjill » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Sorry to hear that you have recently been diagnosed with diabetes , on top of your other condidtions. Yes the ketones will go once the diabetes in under control, they may return at times of illness. They are produced when the body starts to burn fat , instead of carbohydrate, due to lack of insulin.
tisjill

Postby gkardel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi Patty and welcome to the forum. How are you treating your diabetes?

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby Patty » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:26 pm

I was diagnosed a month ago by my regular MD. He thought that I have type 2 Diabetes and started me on Metrofoin. My blood sugar is still out of wack. I take 4 500MG tablets per day. I went to an endo in Palo Alto on Wednesday. He ran alot of tests and is pretty sure that I have type 1 Diabetes. He wants to get all the test results back before he decides if it is type 1, then he will be me on insulin. From everything I have read I think I need to be on insulin. I just can't keep the numbers down. Let me know what you think.
Patty

Postby gkardel » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Chances are you have type 1 diabetes. Addisons, hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes are the three primary components of polyglandular autoimmune syndrome type II (also called Schmidt's Syndrome). The studies I've seen list the prevalence for type 1 diabetes in PAS type II anywhere from 25% to 60%. That's great you got in to see an endo. Insulin level and C-peptide tests are used to help determine the type of diabetes.

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby Patty » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I heard from my doctor today and I do have type 1 diabetes. I am pretty bummed. I go back this week to learn how to use insulin. I am sure I will be posting again with more questions.
Patty

Postby gkardel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:44 pm

You'll feel a lot better when the sugars get in control. The tools used to treat diabetes have really improved and will continue to get better in the future. Feel free to ask any questions.

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Return to Addisons-Diabetes