Driving restrictions?

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Driving restrictions?

Postby DJL » Sat May 03, 2008 5:16 am

To give a little background on myself. I was recently diagnosed with kidney cancer back in February. They removed a 7 pound tumor on the left side (tumor, kidney, and adrenal gland). The doctor had to make a decision on whether to remove the left and/or right adrenal gland at the time of operation. The right adrenal has a mass on it. At the time of surgery, the left adrenal was in worse condition than the right. So he decided to remove it. It turns out that the left adrenal gland didn't have cancer on it. Now I only have 1 adrenal and kidney left (right). They will try and save the right one with chemo and radiation treatments. Also have lung cancer to boot.

My question is this. I understand that if I loose both adrenals, then I will have the equivalent of addisons disease. Oh, I also have type 2 diabeties.

Anyway, if I do lose both adrenals. Would they put driving restrictions on my DL? Or take my DL away? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I live in Texas. I'm the primary driver in the family, because my wife also has her medical problems.

Thanks for any and all replies

Darryl
DJL

Re: Driving restrictions?

Postby gkardel » Sun May 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Don't think any states have driving restrictions related to adrenal insufficiency. For type 1 and 2 diabetes, restrictions can happen if something bad occurs while you're driving that was related to the diabetes or if your doctor classifies the diabetes as not being in control. I think the policy on this does vary by state.

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby DJL » Wed May 07, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks Glenn for your response. I have since found out that the stress I have to watch out for is physical stress, not emotional stress. Like if I get the flu, then I'd have to increase cortisol. Right now I'm still in the process of deciding which oncologist might best save might right adrenal. I don't want to go on medications if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Darryl
DJL

Postby SueM » Thu May 08, 2008 5:26 am

DJL wrote:Thanks Glenn for your response. I have since found out that the stress I have to watch out for is physical stress, not emotional stress. Like if I get the flu, then I'd have to increase cortisol. Right now I'm still in the process of deciding which oncologist might best save might right adrenal. I don't want to go on medications if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Darryl

Hi Darryl, glad to see you have found the site :) You will find emotional stress will make you feel very cr*p too. Many people with addison's have to increase their meds if under emotional or physical stress.
Hope all goes well with your treatment.
SueM

Postby DJL » Thu May 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Thanks SueM for your response.

I just got word today that my surgeon wants to remove my right adrenal as well. He hasn't told me anything yet per se. But I put 2 + 2 together.

The surgeon wants to operate on me again. This, his nurse told me. Suppose to talk to the surgeon on Tuesday.
The lung doctor called and said the tumor on my right adrenal is bigger.
2 + 2 =
My guess he wants to remove the right adrenal before my right kidney is infected with cancer as well.
My oncologist thinks he can save both through treatments. Apparently the surgeon isn't inclined to believe that.
If the oncologist is wrong, then I'd risk loosing both the last remaining adrenal and kidney.
The oncologist wants to talk to the surgeon via confrence call on Tuesday.
Not asking for any input on this. I know, this you can't do. I have to decide this. Just blowing off steam a little.

Darryl
DJL

Postby SueM » Tue May 13, 2008 1:49 am

Hi Darryl, I hope all goes well with the surgeon. Not having adrenals isn't the end of the world though 99.9% of people can lead a perfectly normal life with the replacement therapy.
Best wishes
Sue
SueM

Return to Addisons-Diabetes