Large drop in blood sugar from exercise

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Large drop in blood sugar from exercise

Postby Suzanne » Tue May 13, 2008 6:10 pm

Has anyone else had a significant drop in blood sugar from exercising? My husband is in cardiac rehab and I have been exercising there with him. It is not uncommon for my blood sugar to drop 40 points after being on the treadmill for 10 to 12 minutes. Sunday I took an injection of dexamethasone so yesterday my blood sugar was still high. When we went to exercise it was just over 200 but I skipped the insulin because I knew I would get a drop from exercising. But I sure didn't expect the 96 point drop I got. I am really overweight and need the exercise badly, but I have to eat so many carbs to continue on most days that it is pretty counterproductive.

Also has anyone had trouble with excessive trips to the bathroom, especially during the night? I am spilling large amounts of urine, more during the night than during the day. I am scheduled for a 24 hour urine including urine osmolality. I think they are looking for diabetes insipidus.

Guess I should explain I am a 67 year old woman with a history of Graves Disease, Membranous Glomerulonephropathy, Type II Diabetes, and adrenal failure. An endocrinologist at Mayo thinks I have an autoimmune cluster disease.

I was so pleased to find this website. It is so frustrating to have doctors who want to help but who have so little experience with the problem.
Suzanne

Re: Large drop in blood sugar from exercise

Postby gkardel » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Welcome to the site Suzanne. Exercise can definitely drop your blood sugar. When and what type was the last insulin injection before the exercise? Have you discussed exercising with your doctor?

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby SueM » Sat May 17, 2008 10:13 am

Have you tried cutting your basal before the exercise? That would be my choice. Try using glucose tablets to treat the low as not so many calories.
I would be interested to know what happens re your having to get up in the night as I have this problem too, yet my blood sugars are normal when tested.
SueM

Postby Suzanne » Sat May 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Glenn and Sue,
I should have mentioned that I am on Lantus, currently 14 units daily. I have quit using Humalog because my blood sugar is so unpredictable. Sometimes I get no rise on 2 to 3 carbs and other times I get a 60 point or more rise. A few months ago I was using 22 units of Lantus and was pretty even for a few weeks. I am on 20 mg hydrocortisone twice daily. Also on a load of other meds for blood pressure, thyroid, etc. My endocrinologist sent me a message not to worry about the drop in blood sugar as long as I stay above 70 and to keep exercising.

The people at rehab insist I drink juice and eat graham crackers and peanut butter if I drop below 100 either before or while exercising, so taking glucose tabs doesn't fit their protocol.

I suggested to my endocrinologist that perhaps I need more hydrocortisone, but he doesn't think so.

Sue, my blood sugar is not high when I have the excessive urination, either. The only time I get really high blood sugar readings is when I use dexamethasone. Lately that has been about twice a month. Before I was diagnosed with adrenal failure, I was in the hospital every few months with vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and lethargy. One time I was unconscious for 18 hours. It is such a help to be able to inject myself. I still don't have the results of the urine test. Will let you know what I learn.
Suzanne
Suzanne

Return to Addisons-Diabetes