Growth Hormone test

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Growth Hormone test

Postby zashes11 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 am

Hello All,

I am new to the board and so grateful to it.

My story is similar to most of you. I am T1 diabetic for 25 years and recently started having strange new symptoms.
My chief complaint (after unexplained weight gain) is/was my completely lack of appetite. There were also episodes of weakness and inability to standup or get out of bed....

After many doctor visits I realized that my thyroid must be the problem and had my doctor run tests....only to have him run just the TSH and declare nothing wrong with me....that sent me back to the internet where I found a group that taught me about the importance of checking Free T3 & T4.

Anyway, the more I learned the more it pointed to my pituitary and probably a head injury from motorcycle accident.

After a whole list of crap from doctors I figured it was time to get a pituitary endo to evaluate what was going on.

Enter Stanford Pituitary Center....

I had another ACTH stim test and the Growth Stim test

Growth hormone Stim

Base………………….....….0.42
30 min……………………..2.33
60 min……………………..2.04
90 min……………………..2.16
120 min…………………....1.23

ACTH Stim

Cortisol....………………….14
Cortisol peak............9 (30 min)

I-GF-1…………………..….93 (91-246)

Can anyone confirm if these numbers are low? My follow up doctor appt is not for another two weeks.
They posted no ranges with the test so I can only go on what I have found of the internet and it appears these numbers are low.

Also why did my cortisol decline is that normal? Was it because they did the test together?
zashes11

Re: Growth Hormone test

Postby gkardel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:25 pm

That's good you got into Stanford to get things checked out. A few questions regarding these tests. Did they check your ACTH level before the ACTH stim test was done? Have you taken any glucocorticoid meds besides dexamethasone in the past like hydrocortisone or prednisone? If you have this can invalidate the ACTH stim test results.

Do you know how the GH stim test was performed?

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby zashes11 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Hey Glen,

No I specifically requested a base ATCH but they didn't get enough blood,,,so I am out of luck
They had serious trouble getting a good IV going and eventually resorted to using a plunger
to pull the blood out of my vein. (five veins had calapsed).

My growth hormone stim test was the GRHR/Arginine type.

No I have had no glucocorticoid meds

thanks,

Judy
zashes11

Postby Karen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:18 pm

I had the arginine stim test, and although I'm not sure how to comment on your results, I know it is considered the "gold standard" test for GH deficiency. Mine came back at what the endocrinologist said was the lowest level he had ever seen, so I've been on GH injections ever since. If you need it, it makes a huge difference when you get it back up to acceptable levels. I have not explored my ACTH levels.
Karen

Postby Karen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Sorry - I'm an idiot! Of COURSE I had my ACTH levels tested -- that's how they found the Addison's. I read "ACTH," but was thinking of "DHEA." Anyway . . . .
As far as your IGF-1 level, that is in the very low part of the range, and they usually like it to be in the upper part. (Mine currently runs about 200.) Your arginine stim test should help determine if your GH is low.
Karen

Postby zashes11 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Karen,

The doctor is going to put me on growth hormone but he is not going to treat me because he says he know nothing about diabetes...well I know even for both of us but then we all do...

Did you optimize your cortisol before the GH as I understand it is hard on the adrenals and my two ATCH stim test are not conclusive.

It would seem that if there was any question about my cortisol that with a hypopituitary diagnoses it should be really examined.

Judy
zashes11

Postby Karen » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi Judy
I was on Cortef for about three months before I started on GH. I'm not sure whether that was by design, or simply because it took my endo that long to figure it all out. Of course, every hormone has an effect on every other hormone, so it helps to have a clear picture before proceeding. My pituitary gland is also shot, although they can't pinpoint the cause and are simply saying that it's "autoimmune". So, I take replacement hormones for GH, thyroid, and adrenals. I also have Type 1 diabetes (40 years). If your doctor is "not going to treat you," who is? Hopefully you can get some competent medical help. He or she will want to follow your IGF levels, thyroid, and adrenals pretty closely.
Karen

Postby davidson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:23 am

It is chemicals released by cells that affect cells in other parts of the body. Only a small amount of hormone is required to alter cell metabolism. It is also a chemical messenger that transports a signal from one cell to another. All multicellular organisms produce hormones; plant hormones are also called phytohormones. Hormones in animals are often transported in the blood. Cells respond to a hormone when they express a specific receptor for that hormone. The hormone binds to the receptor protein, resulting in the activation of a signal transduction mechanism that ultimately leads to cell type-specific responses.
davidson

Return to Addisons-Diabetes