Addisons and depression: can we use anti-depressants?

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Addisons and depression: can we use anti-depressants?

Postby andyheckford » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:35 am

Hi all,

I suffered a bit of an emotional upset last year and at last Christmas I had a breakdown and have been suffering with depression ever since. I've been having counselling since Easter and that's gone a long way to address some of my issues however I'm still finding I have days where I'm feeling very emotionally low. I have briefly discussed anti-depressants with my councillor however I'm wondering whether this might prove difficult for someone taking hydrocortisone for Addisons? I don't think I need a heavy anti-depressant but perhaps just something to give me a bit of a lift for a couple of months until I feel I'm back on my feet. I did wonder about something like St. John's Wort but, again, I'm not sure whether this'll clash with the cortisone. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to discuss this, but just wondered if anyone else has ever used anti-depressants successfully alongside cortisone and whether there are any restrictions or complications, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.
andyheckford

Re: Addisons and depression: can we use anti-depressants?

Postby Wanda » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:43 am

Andy,

I know many with addisons who take anti-depressants. Before starting something be sure you are medicated properly for the addisons as this can be the problem.

Wanda
Wanda

Postby Karen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:14 pm

I take a mix of Zoloft and Wellbutrin, which has worked wonderfully for anxiety and depression -- the depression came on when I was first diagnosed with Addison's and other problems relating to my pituitary gland. I have no no side effects or other complications with these drugs, and they have helped TREMENDOUSLY. Given a choice, I wouldn't elect to add another drug to the mix, but I can't argue with success. Good luck to you in getting the help you need.
Karen

Depression and Addison's

Postby clansing1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Andy,
I read somewhere that approximately 50% of people who have Addison's were initally treated for depression or mental illness. If you are low on cortisol, in my opinion, you will get a depressed feeling. Many Addison's patients have problems with anxiety and depression. But I believe a lot of this can be prevented by optimizing your cortisol intake.

How much cortisol do you take and when do you take it? I was intially put on 5 mg of prednisone taken once daily. I now take 1 mg of prednisone at bedtime, 5 mg of cortiosol at 4 am, 10 mg at 7 am, 5 mg at noon, and 5 mg at 4 pm. This works great and I have plenty of energy and no problems with stress, depression or anxiety.

It you find yourself down in the dumps, you should consider increasing your daily cortisol and see if this helps. I would ask your endo about this and see what they think.

Also, I take 25 mg daily of an over the counter hormone called DHEA (Natrol brand from Walgreens). This is a hormone that your adrenal glands should be producing. I noticed an increase in energy and overall mood when I started taking this.

Addison's can be very difficult to treat since you have to be very aggressive in the treatment, but if you are not being treated properly, it makes you very passive.

I hope this helps and that you see better days ahead.

Chad
clansing1

Postby andyheckford » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for all your responses. I did visit my endo awhile ago and he was satisfied that there was no 'clinical' element to my depression it was purely a result of my nervous breakdown. My GP has prescribed me Citalopram which is in the same class of drugs as Zoloft. I've been on them for three weeks now. It shook me up a bit at first and I felt terribly drowsy and occasionally nauseous however that seems to have settled down now. My depression tends to come in cycles and is triggered by specific things or memories. Having been been on the medication for a short time, I've noticed the negative feelings aren't quite as intense. So that's a small but positive step. It's early days yet, but as they don't appear to be interfering with my cortisone, I'll stick with the anti-depressants and continue the counselling and see if things improve.

Thanks for all your advice,

Andy.
andyheckford

Postby Paul_Clarke » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi Andy,

You are not alone in feeling depressed. I don't know if this helps but I also have a brain tumour (benign) and was under palliative care. They used HUGE doses of anti-depressants as they were using the side effects to offset the symptoms of a particular type of head-ache I was suffering from. The way anti-d's work is simply by replacing a chemical you are lacking in. Your body takes what it needs and discards the rest. I had no issues with anti-d's and the use of steroids. I was in fact taking a cocktail of 23 differant drugs at that time.

You have enough on your plate with addisons without throwing depression (which can be crippling and ignored) into the mix.

Talk to your endo / gp.

I wish you all the best for the future and if I can be of any help, please feel free to Email me (info@hobbyfarmproduce.com)

Paul
Paul_Clarke

Postby Paul_Clarke » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Sorry Andi,

I forgot to mention the name of the drug I was on.
Amitriptaline

Regards,

Paul
Paul_Clarke

Return to Addisons-Diabetes