Broken Collar Bone vs. Meds

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Broken Collar Bone vs. Meds

Postby Daktau » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:56 am

Hello All,
This is request for any advice you can give me regarding my broken collar bone and my meds ie. how much and for how long I should increase my doses.
I usually take 20mg hydrocortisone in the mornimg with 0.1 mg fludrocortisone and 10mg hydrocort in the evening.

The injury occured yesterday evening at 18:00 and i instantly took 40mg hydrocortisone as that is when i take my evening dose anyway.

At the A&E dept. I asked them to be aware of my addison's and give me their opinion on the dose increase. This was out of the junior doc's knowlege so she checked with the head MD who advised her to tell me to double it all up. So 40 in the morning and 20 in the evening.

Could anyone add to this advice or tell me of their own experience with bone breaks?

Thank you all,
George.

ps. Would there be any danger of an addisonian crisis? Also what are the symptoms of an addisonian crisis as I do not think I've been through one yet so would appreciate any descriptions.
Blood sugars have seemed to have risen since all the new meds and doses. I am also now on ibuprofin and co-codamol for pain relief.
Daktau

Re: Broken Collar Bone vs. Meds

Postby SueM » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi George, sorry you have done some damage :( There's a lot of info on this site http://www.addisons.org.uk/comms/adshg/page1.html well worth a read.
If your blood sugars have gone up the easiest solution is to increase your insulin. If you are feeling tired/sleepy/sick/dizzy then you need the extra steroids. Did the A&E Dr not say how long to take the extra dose for? It's normal to take for 3 days.
I can assure you you would soon know if you had an addison's crisis. If no home injection kit it would be an ambulance trip to hospital with blue lights :) Mind you the paramedics do carry injectable steroids just for us addisonians.
Best wishes
Sue
SueM

Postby Wanda » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Sue,

The medics here do not carry steroid shots, nor can they inject mine. All the other addisonians I chat with say the same. You are the first person I know of to say the medics have it. What state are you in? I am in Oregon.

Wanda
Wanda

Postby SueM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 am

Wanda wrote:Sue,

The medics here do not carry steroid shots, nor can they inject mine. All the other addisonians I chat with say the same. You are the first person I know of to say the medics have it. What state are you in? I am in Oregon.

Wanda

Hi Wanda, both I and George are in the UK. I needed the Paramedics last year and they have all the gear on board they even have a hand held computer system with all details as to what dosage to give etc.,
SueM

Postby Wanda » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Sue,
Your paramedics sound very up to date!! Wish we had that good service here. At least you would get what you need before getting to the hospital. I haven't had a crisis since being diagnosed, but do wonder if there would be time to get a shot in me if I was alone at the time.

Wanda
Wanda

Postby SueM » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:04 am

Wanda wrote:Sue,
Your paramedics sound very up to date!! Wish we had that good service here. At least you would get what you need before getting to the hospital. I haven't had a crisis since being diagnosed, but do wonder if there would be time to get a shot in me if I was alone at the time.

Wanda

Hi Wander I have had 5 call outs by either an after hours Dr or the paramedics. All due to an allergic reaction to a tablet I was taking. The reaction involved vomiting for hrs on end with very low blood sugars and BP. :( The last time the paramedics came I had already had steroids and anti sickness meds from the Emergencey Dr. a few hours earlier. The paramedics were fab and very up to date as to what was required. I have all the emergencey stuff here to use on myself but on a few occasions had gone to far ie far to cold like a block of ice and shaking so badly I could not even draw up the steroids.
In the UK we are very lucky with our health care most of the time.
SueM

Postby Wanda » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:51 am

We should use our shot after vomiting twice. Your reaction to that pill sounds terrible!! Great that you have efficent help there.

Wanda
Wanda

Postby Camm » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi George,
I broke my collar bone (clavicle) last year. Don't worry too much about it. i just doubled my dose for the first couple of weeks to deal with the stress and pain. Other than that , just keep taking the tablets on time otherwise you will really feel the effect.
Good Luck :!: :P

Cameron
Camm

Return to Addisons-Diabetes