Trigger Finger (or thumb)

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Trigger Finger (or thumb)

Postby Poly » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:23 am

Has anyone developed a trigger finger? Its real name is stenosing tenosynovitis, and it is more common in women than men and being diabetic is a risk factor. I ask because I never had any problem until about two years ago when I developed a small lump at the base of my thumb on my left hand. I showed it to several doctors who didn't seem to have a clue what it was and, finally, a physician family member told me what it was. When they are caught early, apparently a steroid injection might repair it, but that is less effective in diabetics. I had surgery last spring to repair my thumb and now I have a brand new big lump below my second finger on my right hand and a couple of new ones on my left hand. Anyone else?
Poly

Re: Trigger Finger (or thumb)

Postby saltrocks » Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi! I don't have diabetes, i have addison's. I developed the nodules at the base of my right index finger and also in my left ring finger. I thought it was calcium since i was taking high doses of that. My endo said it could be arthritis but i didn't have joint pain or swelling so he didn't do anything about it. They seem to still be related to calcium that i take but could be multiple causes i suppose. Good Luck! :D
saltrocks

Postby Poly » Wed May 12, 2010 4:58 am

I'm sorry you have anything because they can make the whole finger hurt eventually. If you put your finger from your other hand on top of the lump and bend the affected finger toward your palm, you can feel the movement of the tendon getting stuck as you bend the finger. If that finger starts to "trigger" or feel like it's popping at the joint, go to a hand surgeon because at that stage they can inject with cortisone to reduce the swelling. The swelling, or nodule, prevents the tendon from moving freely through the sheath and the finger begins to trigger. I hate the the thought of a steroid injection anywhere but I dislike hand surgery even more! Sometimes the cause is a lump directly below the finger rather than slightly off center; those have been ganglion cysts. All cause the same problem. Apparently, women get them more than men and women with diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis get them most of all. I hope yours turns out to be something else that gives you no trouble!!
Poly

Postby 34south » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:07 am

I know this topic is quite old, but I thought it worth mentioning that I developed trigger finger in my middle finger on the left hand about a year ago. I had a cortisone shot, which helped although it caused significant hyperglycemia (I have been a Type-1 diabetic for 31 years) despite my taking a prophylactically higher insulin dose. Within a few months though I was back, now also suffering from the same in my ring finger on the right hand. I was booked for bilateral surgical release and therefore had this done under a general anesthetic. I was in and out of the hospital within a few hours, had no post-op pain or complications and would certainly recommend the procedure. Some YouTube videos on the matter suggest the procedure involves a highly painful recovery, but this is just not true. Some days, there is evidence of other fingers playing up but the two that were operated are completely normal. Initially, it took a few months for them to restore from curving inwards but now they are quite straight.

It is also worth mentioning that I am in the process of being diagnosed for Addison's, since I have borderline low cortisol levels and just had an ACTH stimulation test done. I fit some of the symptoms, but not all. For example, I have put on rather than lost weight (I am not yet on prednisolone), I have high rather than low blood pressure and do not suffer tachycardia or salt cravings. However, I have had shoulder and neck pain, and less severely joint and back pain, for six years. I had what I think was an Addisonian event (sudden but transient penetrating pain in the lower back) which coincided with a high stress event and I have permanent pathological tiredness in the afternoon and early evening.

Presumably though, it is the DM that is contributing to the trigger finger, and not the hypocortisolism although, other posts suggest it could be the converse. I guess it also fits the autoimmune glove (forgive the pun), although I wonder if the incidence is higher amongst combined DM/Addison's patients?
34south

Return to Addisons-Diabetes