Help need a bit of light shedding!

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Help need a bit of light shedding!

Postby Lady haha » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Newbie looking for help and advice

I am Type 1 Diabetic and Hypothyroid, recently put on Thyroxine which has really helped with hypoglycaemia and helped with big swings in blood sugar,even though my insulin needs has gone up but my hair has stopped falling out so it,s all good eh :D
I have been having dizzy spells on standing for the last year or so, and my resting blood pressure of an evening falls to 92/60 with a pulse of 50, I feel dreadful tired a lot if the time,anxious ect,like on pins for no reason. I used to be well chilled.
what has made me question Addisons is thatvI was put on Predisolone for an allergic reaction in February...what a revelation. I felt fab on it, I slept for the first time in about a year the dizziness stopped,I had energy while feeling relaxed and just in general felt well,no dizzy spells ect. I also lost weight on it????? Could it have helped Thyroid function,this was before I was put on Thyroxine. It also seemed to stabalise blood sugars.

Should I get my Cortisol checked, I mentioned it to my diabetic team but they just did,nt seem to run with it. I,m back on Pred again for allergy and again straight away feel great
Amy help in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Lady haha

Re: Help need a bit of light shedding!

Postby Lady haha » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Forgot to add,twice over the last two years that I know about at my Diabetic MOT it has been mentioned about my low sodium levels but they put this down to me being a runner and swaying a lot?????? Also when I drink water it goes STRAIGHT through me,even with good glucose control
Lady haha

Postby Lady haha » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Sorry,typo it is meant to say sweating ,not swaying.....I do move my legs when I run,maybe I should try swaying instead then I might not feel so crap :mrgreen: :lol:
Lady haha

Postby Lady haha » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Just one more thing that my Bloods came back with a low FHS and LH level???? anyone offer any help or advice??? :D
Lady haha

Postby gkardel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:27 am

Someone with T1 diabetes, hypothyroidism and untreated adrenal insufficiency will have hypoglycemia and decreased insulin requirements. Other symptoms to watch for are weight loss, low energy, low sodium, high potassium, low blood pressure and darkening skin.

If you have autoimmune based diabetes and hypothyroidism, you definitely have increased risk for adrenal insufficiency. Having undiagnosed AI with diabetes and hypothyroidism should not be taken lightly. It's a dangerous scenario. If you have elements of symptoms above, get an ACTH stimulation test. If you don't have symptoms above, talk to your doc about having an adrenal antibody test.

Glenn
gkardel
Site Admin

Postby Lady haha » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:34 am

Glenn
thanks so much for your supply , to be honest I had no specific test done for my Thyroid ,as in an antibody test just the TSH and T4 and T3. Because the TSH was around 6 and has been for a long time my own GP finally decided to treat me with Thyroxine as my hair was seriously coming out....the Diabetic team at the Hospital would have just let it ride. I think we have a much higher diagnostic TSH threshold over here in the UK than in the US.

Can I ask do you think you can have Addisons for a number of years and just rummble along with it with symptoms before you get really I'll. I mentioned all my symptoms to the GP and my totally positive experience on the Pred and she just said it was such a dangerous drug to put someone on and wanted to start by treating my Thyroid first....sort of dismissed the Addisons possibility. I must admit I feel slightly better and my insulin needs have raised which has led to a more stable control as before even two units of fast acting insulin before a meal could send me hypo within and hour.....but if I had none my sugars were up to 24/28.....I kept telling my Diabetic team this and they just said Im hyper sensitive to Insulin and all peoples Diabetes is different.

Do you know anything about LH ,FSH blood levels...as in being very low????

I will take tour add vice and ask my GP for these test you mention....I have been back on the Pred for Allergy,again something I have just started to get a lot of and in 4 days I have lost 6 lbs. The weight falls off me on it and I feel great on it and have so much more energy instead of feeling like the plug has been pulled out all the time.

Anyway thanks Glenn sorry to off load anymore advice would be much appreciated as getting appropriate health care over here is a bit like pushing water uphill :cry:
I will be back with more info ,and probably questions as my journey evolves :D
Lady haha

Postby SueM » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:47 am

Did you actually mention the word addison's to your GP? The reason I ask is that very few GP's will ever see a case in their working life.
SueM

Postby Lady haha » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi sue

No I did not, I just went in with a list of symptoms the main one being my sudden rapid hair loss, My hair has been going for a long time on and off. I also felt lousy and said I kept feeling like I was going to pass out on standing . She then proceeded to test my blood pressure but it was normal. To be honest I was a bit hyped up...I hate DR visits 8O

I did mention to her how good I felt on the Pred and how much it had improved my Glucose control but she was blinkered to my Thyroid results I think.....I mentioned my previous low sodium results but there was never any mention of Addisons, I don't have any really dark skin pigmantation and some time's my blood pressure will have a spate of being in the normal range....Could Cortisol levels fluctuate like in the early stages of type 1 Diabetes when all the cells in the Pancreas have not died and the pancreas still spluters along for some time ?

Sorry for all the questions :oops: I think I need to go back and see my Diabetic team instead of the GP ,it is just the Hospital are so loath to treat the Thyroid problems I thought I may get more joy from my GP. My old consultant wanted me to see a Matabolist a few years back because my Cholesterol was 13 and they could not get it below 9 even on the strongest combo of meds....this was also when I had low sodium levels....I never did recieve that referal :( and I know I should have chased it up,but didn't

This may be totally unrelated but I have had raised Lymph nodes in the back of my neck now for over two years. I had an ultrasound on them and they said allclear but they won't go away. They are the size of grapes and fluctuate in swelling...I think it is some kind of imune response?? Allergy?? My Dad has pernicious Anemia and got these befroe he got really ill...but they tested my iron levels all OK.

I suppose what has been the light bulb on for me was going on the Pred and how much better I feel on it, at the moment I am on 15mg and then a taper dose. Would pred make someone who did not have Adreinal issues feel great do you think???

Anyway thanks for your input much appreciated :D
Lady haha

Postby Anderles » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi, think i am in a similiar situation to yourself and have type 1 diabetes, hypothyroid (tsh was 36 when diagnosed!), pernicious anaemia and vitiligo. All are associated with polyendocrine syndrome along with addisons. I have low blood pressure (usually 90/60), tiredness (despite normal tsh levels and b12 injections). My endocrinologist said it is a matter of time till i get addisons but despite some symptoms said i would know when i have it! I think she is waiting for an addisonian crisis to occur! I also have terrible hair loss that is better when thyroid is under control. With regards pernicious anaemia you need a vit b12 test and not an iron test done although b12 deficiency can cause malabsorption of iron. i know when i need my b12 shot as i get so exhausted. With so many conditions it is hard to know what to attribute them to. Hope you can find an answer to your symptoms.
Anderles

Return to Addisons-Diabetes