Need tips to help dog with Addisons-Diabetes

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Need tips to help dog with Addisons-Diabetes

Postby Heinzle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:16 pm

I have read through many of your posts and am quite impressed with the amount of information there is out there. I'm really hoping I can get some help from this forum for my dog who was diagnosed with Diabetes on June 1, 2011 and then Primary Addison's on June 13, 2011.

She is currently on 1.6 ml of Percoten-V which is given to her SubQ every 28 days. That's working out great! She also gets, at this time, 1.5 mg of Prednisone daily in the morning to replace her cortisol (she was on 5 mg upon diagnosis and then 2.5 mg for a few months since she was drinking and peeing in the house on the 5 mg. I wanted to drop her lower than that due to long term concerns which is why she is on 1.5 mg of Pred at this time.)

Regulating her diabetes has been a whole other issue. I am having real issues with ther blood sugar dropping dangerously low 2 to 2.5 hours after eating. She currently is fed 2x a day and gets a shot of 16 units Humulin N at the same time she is fed.

I have a couple of possibilities to fix this:

Could her lower pred be the cause of the drops in blood sugar? She drops as low as 40 mg and then rebounds into the 400's at noon (6 hours after shot).
Could the insulin be hitting her faster than the food? Maybe I should give the shot 1/2 hour to an hour after feeding.
Would feeding her 4 small meals versus 2 large meals make any difference?

Your insight will be GREATLY appreciated!

Karen & Sammie (a 65 lb, 6.5 year old Golden Retriever/Collie mix)
Heinzle

Re: Need tips to help dog with Addisons-Diabetes

Postby NJ » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:09 am

That is a low dose of prednisone for such a large dog. And with low steroid you can get hypoglycemia so yes the low dose could be causing her problems. I talk to my vet about Addison's as they treat several dogs with it. The dog has an advantage over humans in that the Percoten-V is given monthly and we have to take fludrocortisone daily!

I treat my cats with prednisone for asthma and IBD as well as allergies and the upper limit for cats is 10 mg. prednisone but I give my tiny cat 5 mg. per day. But cats are very resistant to prednisone side effects. But I do think this may well be too low a dose for your doggie. Please consult your vet.
NJ

Re: Need tips to help dog with Addisons-Diabetes

Postby Heinzle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:35 am

Thank you for your reply! It is a very low dose but I'm trying to give her enough Pred to take care of her needs for cortisol and not have the symptoms of drinking/peeing. I upped her dose to 1 mg am and 1 mg pm and thought she was doing well 220 fasting bg and then 105 2.5 hours later only to find she rebounded again this afternoon with a bg reading of 506!

I will talk to my vet.
Heinzle

Return to Addisons-Diabetes