? Addisons Diabetes, hypothyroid, pernicious anemia vitiligo

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

? Addisons Diabetes, hypothyroid, pernicious anemia vitiligo

Postby Anderles » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi,

I have just found this forum after my endo appointment today. I have type 1 diabetes (diagnosed when i was 2 years old in 1982), vitiligo (since i was eight but never formally diagnosed just commented on by doctors during the summer when white patches are visible on hands, elbows and feet... I have these areas on chest and in all areas where there are creases), hypothyroidism (diagnosed after first pregnancy in 2009 ... Healthy girl), pernicious anaemia ( diagnosed during second pregnancy last year 2011 ... Healthy boy).

My reason for visiting this site was one of the endocrinologists i saw today said it was a matter of when rather than if i was diagnosed with addisons. However even though i told her i have low blood pressure and lethargy (although this could b explained by any of the conditions) she said there was no point in testing yet as i didnt have the classical Signs ie dark skin pigmentation. Reading up on symptoms i have also had severe salt cravings (eating it out of the salt shaker!), nausea on a fairly regular basis and muscle pain. I also have tinnitis at times.

I would appreciate some advice. Should i go see my gp and demand tests?
Anderles

Re: ? Addisons Diabetes, hypothyroid, pernicious anemia vitiligo

Postby Karen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Absolutely. You have enough of the symptoms that your condition warrants further tests. (I never had the pigmentation, and the first endocrinologist I saw dismissed Addison's for that reason. She was wrong.) I had all the other symptoms you had, plus very low blood sugars (I have Type 1 diabetes as well). Good luck!
Karen

Postby Anderles » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 am

Many thanks for your reply. I have had several consultant endocrinologists dismiss the possibility of addisons because I do not have the pigmentation. I will speak with my GP and get them to refer me for tests as I would rather be able to treat the condition than leave it. Interesting that you have low blood sugars ... do you have a low HBA1c?
Anderles

Postby SueM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am

Anderles wrote:Many thanks for your reply. I have had several consultant endocrinologists dismiss the possibility of addisons because I do not have the pigmentation. I will speak with my GP and get them to refer me for tests as I would rather be able to treat the condition than leave it. Interesting that you have low blood sugars ... do you have a low HBA1c?

Why can't your own GP do the tests? Mine did :)
SueM

Postby Karen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Yes, before I was diagnosed my A1c was 7. I was down to taking only 3 units of Lantus and no Novolog and I still had lows that sent me to the emergency room. It was the freakiest thing, but should have been a big red flag to the doctors, as it's one of the symptoms of Addison's or - in my case - pituitary failure causing secondary Addison's. Now my A1cs are higher, but everything is stable and my endo is not complaining. Now I take 15 Lantus in the morning plus 5-8 Novolog at mealtime.
Karen

Return to Addisons-Diabetes