diagnosis ?

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

diagnosis ?

Postby annatwatton » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi I am 18 years old and have been a type 1 diabetic for 6 years. my control is very good with a HBA1C of around 7. however for the past week I have begun to feel more tired, have lower blood sugar readings ( in the 3's) and have lost my appetite. I was wondering about the likely hood of this being the symptoms of Addison disease?
I have been living in south Korea for the past 3 months and this is the first time i have noticed any of these symptoms.
I first thought i had food poisoning as i began to throw up after eating day old sushi.
my symptoms seemed to come on so quickly that it felt like it was highly possible that it was food poisoning.
however the following day i stopped feeling Nauseaus and instead just felt physically drained.
I asked my friend to take me to the doctors as i don't speak Korean i needed a translator.
they took my temperature which was normal and my blood pressure which was low ( another sign of addisons disease right?).
however i am underweight ( with a bmi of 16.3) so could this aloso be my bodys reaction to my weight?
I go home in 2 days so i think it would be best to just get thoroughly examined when home as i live in england i have the nhs and here it costs me up to £100 to just go into the doctors office.
how worried should i be about having addisons disease?
does this sound like the symptoms of addisons disease or just food poisoning?
i am also feeling now bloated and tired.
do i need to go to the hospital right away?
these symptoms came as a bout in the middle of last Wednesday , how long i it usually until people notice symptoms?
thanks so much for your help, sorry to sound erratic but i am away from my mum and very scared.
annatwatton

Re: diagnosis ?

Postby annatwatton » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 am

though tired i still have energy, today for example i managed to walk for 2 hours and cycle for an hour. if i had addisons would this be possible>? my blood sugars today where as they should be and had no unexpected lows. also my flatmates have both got ill aswell(vomiting) but i have never had the flu so dont know if my symptoms could be a prolonged result of this? though does my low sugars, nauseau, fatigue and low blood pressure not point towards addisons?
annatwatton

Re: diagnosis ?

Postby Wanda » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:33 am

The symptoms you mention could be low cortisol or ?? The only way to know for sure is to have an ACTH stimulation test. If you can talk your doctor into it you will need to research to be sure they do it correctly. It should be done at 8am.

Wanda
Wanda

Return to Addisons-Diabetes