Type 2 - is it possible?

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

Type 2 - is it possible?

Postby tonymoloney » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi,
I am a 73 year old woman who has had Addison's Disease for 30 years and Type 1 Diabetes for 25 years.

Up until a couple of years ago, both diseases were completely under control with medication and exercise. However of late, I have been having madly fluctuating BGLs, causing lots of hypos which of course lead me to consuming more sweet stuff. The consequence of this is that I have put on far too much weight and my BGL control is getting worse.

My question is this - is it possible for someone with Type 1 to develop Type 2? If so, should the Type 2 be treated differntly? My husband has mild Type 2 which he keeps completely under control with Gliclazide and low doses of Metformin so I'm wondering if an Endo would prescribe the same treatment for me - along with my insulin.

Isabelle (using my husbands email address)
tonymoloney

Re: Type 2 - is it possible?

Postby NJ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Before her death at 92 my mother was insulin dependent but after going into a nursing home became a brittle diabetic...she was well controlled on her own but not so after going into the home. But her doctor added metformin. I am assuming to help her used her insulin better.

But I couldn't find anything about types 1 and 2 coexisting. But I keep thinking I've heard this can happen. I am sure there are others here who will know.

Jo
NJ

Re: Type 2 - is it possible?

Postby SueM » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:39 pm

tonymoloney wrote:Hi,
I am a 73 year old woman who has had Addison's Disease for 30 years and Type 1 Diabetes for 25 years.

Up until a couple of years ago, both diseases were completely under control with medication and exercise. However of late, I have been having madly fluctuating BGLs, causing lots of hypos which of course lead me to consuming more sweet stuff. The consequence of this is that I have put on far too much weight and my BGL control is getting worse.

My question is this - is it possible for someone with Type 1 to develop Type 2? If so, should the Type 2 be treated differntly? My husband has mild Type 2 which he keeps completely under control with Gliclazide and low doses of Metformin so I'm wondering if an Endo would prescribe the same treatment for me - along with my insulin.

Isabelle (using my husbands email address)

Hi Tony,
it's called double diabetes. Double diabetes just means you are insulin resistent, which you obviously are not :)
But if you are having loads of hypos, I would suspect it's just a case of problems with your management.
Obviously eating far to much due to hypos will make you gain weight, but this doesn't mean you have double diabetes.
Go back to basics test your basal and get that right, then work on your carb ratio's.
Hope that helps.
SueM

Return to Addisons-Diabetes