I've joined the club

Forum for Addisons and diabetes related issues.

I've joined the club

Postby Davros80 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:53 am

Hi,
Just found this forum
I've been type 1 diabetic for 3.5 years, got diagnosed with Addison's on Fri. It was very close to being fatal, but lucky my diabetes consultant noticed I was bait unevenly suntanned and pieced it together!
Been put on 20mg in morn, 10mg with evening meal of hydrocortisone, and it has shot my blood sugar highs into the sky and they are really difficult to get back down. I'm less mentally foggy but still really weak from weightless (7kg) and fatigue,

Does this sound like a familiar start to anyone?

How long til I get my energy and strength back?

Thx

Davros
Davros80

Re: I've joined the club

Postby SueM » Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 am

Hiya,
I saw your post on the diabetes forum :) I don't post there any more.
Tiredness will be with you for a while. But once stable you will be fine. I'm confused as to why you have been told to take HC in the evening. It's the worst thing you can do.
Normal dose is 15mg in the morning and 10 at lunch time.
Were you given Florinef as well? If not you should have been.
Have a look here as well http://www.addisons.org.uk/info/i_index1.html
SueM

Re: I've joined the club

Postby Wanda » Mon May 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Davros.

It would be better for your BS to split your dose more. 10mg about 5 or 6am (while still in bed...depending on your schedule. I take mine with a cracker.), 10mg at 10am, 5mg at noon and 5mg at 3pm.

Once you are stabilized you may find 30mg is too much. If you start gaining more weight than you want or get a round face you will need to talk to your doc about very slowly tapering your dose a bit.

Getting your energy and strength back depends on many things. How long you sick before being diagnosed, what your daily routine is and etc.

Wanda
Wanda

Return to Addisons-Diabetes